Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Names of God

On Wednesday night, our pastor has been doing a group bible study on the Names of God!  Can I tell you just how powerful this has been!  To know that God is the God of EVERYTHING!!  His names tell us this!  I have been so humbled and filled with His word during this study.  I have learned to pray and seek God in such a different way.  Our pastor has encouraged us that when we are praying, to call upon the Lord using the name He has given us for our situation!  It has totally changed my prayer life ya'll!!  I have learned to pray in a way that I never thought I could.  I was so guilty of just praying the typical before you go to sleep prayer and not really going to the Lord with the things I was dealing with, good or bad!  I have been able to just open my heart and let Him continually mold it and give me a desire to want to talk to Him more.  I have learned there are so many different ways to pray!!!  He hears our every need!!  So, I am going to share the names we have discussed thus far and encourage you to use His names!  He gives them to us in His word to call upon them!!!  


  • ADONAI: LORD or MASTER

This name of God is written in the bible as Lord.  It speaks of God's authority over everyone and everything else.  Adonai speaks of personal surrender to His authority.  
"Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.  I said to the Lord, 'You are my ADONAI; I have not good besides You."  
  • EL: The God of Strength and Power

We should exalt His strength and seek His strength
"The LORD is their strength." Pslam 28:8
  • ELOHIM: The eternal creator God

God is the source of all life, so we know that our lives are sacred and have a purpose
Pslam 42
  • EL ELYON: God Most High

God is not subject to anyone or anything!!
"Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High." Gen. 14:19
  • EL SHADDAI: God Almighty

God can accomplish everything He desires and decrees
"May God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and multiply you, that you may become a company of peoples." Gen. 28:3
  • EL RO'I: The All-Seeing God

God sees our pain, our obedience, and no one gets away with anything!
"Your are a God who sees..." Gen. 16:13

  • YAHWEH (or Jehovah): The Proper Name of God,  HE IS!

"He is solitary in His majesty, unique in His excellency, and peerless in His perfections.  He sustains all, but is Himself independent of all.  He gives to all and is enriched by none."  A.W. Pink
*written in the bible as LORD, used over 6,000x times!!
"Lift up a song for Him who rides through the deserts, Whose name is the LORD (Yahweh), and exult before him." Pslam 68:4

I cannot wait to share more with you as the bible study continues.  Lift up His name today if you have not already, and if you have, do it again!!  We should praise him with every breath we breathe!!  
Thank you Heavenly Father for showing us Your power and love through Your names!  
Happy Sunday everyone!! Hope you have a great week!!!

1 comment: